top of page
Oral thrush is a yeast infection that appears as white, creamy patches or small red dots on the tongue, roof of the mouth, gums or throat. These areas can be painful and may bleed slightly.
- A weakened immune system, diabetes, prolonged antibiotic use or generalized poor health.
- Certain medications
- Dry mouth
- Improper denture care, such as wearing dentures for a long period.
- Treat with an anti-fungal medication prescribed by a dentist or physician.
- Continue daily mouth care, even with sore gums.
- Brush teeth twice a day.
- Clean cheeks, tongue, and roof of mouth at least once a day with a soft toothbrush.
- Use a new toothbrush at the beginning of treatment and discard it when treatment is finished.
- Ask your dentist or pharmacist about dry mouth products.
Schedule regular dental exams and cleanings.
- Remove dentures during rest periods; soak dentures in water overnight with a cleansing tablet.
- Every time dentures are removed, clean and brush them with a denture brush.
- Dentures should always be labeled with the residentts name; your dentist can help.
bottom of page